Advantages of recycling shingles into Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA)
- Saves landfill space
- Creates jobs
- Each ton of shingles incorporated into hot mix asphalt (HMA) saves approximately 2 barrels of oil.
- Every ton of virgin binder replaced with recycled asphalt shingles (RAS) avoids 27 tons of CO2 emissions.
- Reduces the cost of producing HMA
- Data from Missouri and Minnesota indicates improved performance and life of roads using RAS.
- Provides for the reuse of previously mined aggregate
- According Natl Center for Asphalt Tech at Auburn University, roads built with RAS in the mix are stiffer and more resistant to ruts and cracks. Not only can this ground product be used in hot mix asphalt but it can be mixed with aggregate to form a base under new roads. It can also be used as light weight road patch for repair or applied to gravel or dirt roads for dust and noise control.
- Recycling tear off shingles just makes sense!